Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I live in France and my aunt has recently died. She was living

Customer Question

I live in France and my aunt has recently died. She was living in Canada. Her estate is going through probate soon in Canada. I am told by the executor of the estate that there is no inheritance tax in Canada. I looked up the inheritance tax rates in France and it is 55 percent. I asked the executor about this and she said that the French rates do not apply because even if I live in France the estate tax is in Canada and is paid by the estate not me. Is this true? Do I have to worry about the French government trying to get their hands on a large portion of my inheritance?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Let me do some brief research on this issue and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. E-mail me when you have the answer. No hurry. I'd rather have a through answer than a rapid one.
Since the aunt was a non-resident and Canada and France have a tax treaty, there should be no inheritance taxes for the property received byway of inheritance from you aunt as a Canadian resident. See tax treaty: https://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conventions/france_-eng.asp I advise and strongly encourage you retain a local tax professional to ensure that the assets are transferred properly to avoid unnecessary taxes.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answer. It sounds fine and through. And I would rate it very high. I do have a problem with the way just answer is run however. I was led to believe that the first answer would be free. And there was nothing sa