How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41052
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What documentation is needed to get a Surrogate's Certificate

Customer Question

What documentation is needed to get a Surrogate's Certificate in Florida for unclaimed property in New Jersey?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Can you tell me if the deceased person was resident of Florida or NJ and do you know roughly how much there is here money wise?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Was there any probate anywhere opened??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deceased was a resident of Florida when they passed, they had resided in NJ when the policy with Prudential was initiated. There are 2 amounts totaling @ $11,00.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no probate that we know of.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
For an amount over $10k you are looking at opening probate here in the county in Florida where they deceased.You need a a local probate lawyer to do this.Forms are not available to do this on your own pro se. You make application for probate and are appointed personal representative.Once appointed you claim the funds with yours letters of appointment received from probate court.You will need a death certificate for the lawyer to make application.You need to know here that any creditors would have ability to file creditor claims in probate before the heirs get whats left. No way around probate here I am afraid and a local lawyer. Reference Lawyer Referral Service Online - Available 24/7Phone(###) ###-####onday through Friday8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. You can locate a lawyer from the state bar above. I very much appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again. You can claim the funds once you are appointed in probate court as personal representative of the estate here.

Related Estate Law Questions