Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

My partner is held in custody in France. I have his account

Customer Question

my partner is held in custody in France. I have his account details to access money in Los Angeles online but I need further authorisation. His bank told him he needs to be present to do further authorisation. If I was given power of attorney would I have the same access as my partner to his account
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.
Hello. A Power of Attorney should work. Here is a link to the form: https://www.allsaintsbh.org/wp-content/uploads/CA-Power-of-Attorney.pdfYour Partner may have to go to the US Consulate in France to get it notarized or have another form completed since he is in a foreign country. This may be difficult if he is in custody. Also, the bank may have a particular form it may want you to complete. But overall saying that your partner has to be present does not seem right.