How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As one of the legal heirs to an estate, and payee of the insurance

Customer Question

As one of the legal heirs to an estate, and payee of the insurance on the property, I a claim for repairs on the property and received payment for the claim. The check is made out to the Estate of my father. An Estate Bank account was never set up. will I be able ro deposit this check in my bank? I've paid the contractor for the work that the insurance adjuster advised sjould be done.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Unfortunately, you will not be able to deposit this check into your account. The executor of the estate will have to sign the check and the executor needs to set up an account for the estate in order to get you the money. I know this will probably be a hassle, but the only person that can legally sign the check is an executor of your father's estate. You might think about having the executor sign it and then you can deposit it into your account as a third party check, if your bank will allow that. You might contact you bank to be sure. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?