Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

How to qualify spouse without depleting our modest savings?

Customer Question
how to qualify spouse for...
how to qualify spouse for Medicade without depleting our modest savings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
4/6/2016
Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
MEDICAID is a "needs based" program. That means that in order to apply you must provide the state with information on your assets and income. If your assets (savings) are greater than the threshold amount (generally $2K in cash) you have to "spend down" till you reach that level before you apply.Now...if you can wait before you apply, you could place your assets into a trust. This would protect the assets and allow you to collect the benefit. But there is a 5 year "look back" period...so if you wanted to do this, you have to make sure you will not apply for the benefit for at least 5 years before you apply.Otherwise, you can apply...but they will require you to spend down on the medical expenses until you reach the threshold (again $2K)Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Attorney