How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father has taken care of a woman + years he just recently

Customer Question

My father has taken care of a woman for 20+ years he just recently passed and the woman is trying to take everything. Her name is ***** ***** anything but in Texas common law is recognized. I am the only child and he didn't leave a will. How do I go about getting my Father's things
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If there is no will, then the property will pass according to intestate succession (Texas state law). Even if this woman is considered to be his spouse, she cannot take everything. According to Texas law, the spouse inherits 1/3 of your father's separate personal property and the right to use his real estate for life and the you inherit everything else, including your father's 1/2 interest in the community property. This is laid out be Texas law and this woman cannot unilaterally take everything, the court will not allow that. You simply need to apply to be executor and the court will take care of everything else. Worst case is she will be considered his spouse, and you will get the property as I laid out in the start of this answer. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Can I help you any further?