How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 57319
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

8 years ago while my dad was dying I sent my mother n sister

Customer Question

8 years ago while my dad was dying I sent my mother n sister to my lifelong friend and estate attorney. The short version is unknown to me my mother put half her house in my sisters name and the balance to be left to her upon her death and all her other remaining assets. total amount about 600k. My mother told me I was a half owner and asked me for half that year's real estate taxes and insurance. Feeling uncomfortable I went to the county seat and saw the deed in both my mother and sister's name. i didnt talk with them for 3 years. They again approached me with giving me 150k 4 years ago. I asked for it to be in writing and they dragged their feet for a year and reneged. Last year they tried again and when I set ( Im a CPA) the conditions so there was no wiggle room they again reneged. Do I have any recourse as a disinherited adult child. Im 63.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can seek to challenge based on fraud, duress, lack of capacity or improper execution. You may have an estate lawyer challenge and seek to compromise with the other beneficiary. Such pressure can help. Surrogate court in NY will also allow some limited discovery which you can use to further apply pressure and develop the case. Best to proceed with an estate lawyer locally. Kindly let me know if helpful, and please rate me positively. I am in NY too.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If I can clarify anything, please ask me.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Kindly rate me positively.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
awaiting reply/rating when ready