How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41536
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Very complicated I had a corporation that I inherited from

Customer Question

Very complicated I had a corporation that I inherited from my parents. I got divorced from my husband and he kept on paying me out. He is deceased now but ad remarried about 2 yrs ago I know he did not have another will I have the will that we both executed years ago I tried to get the corporate book from the wife but she wants 20 thousand dollars I am trying to regain my ownership
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would need to make application to probate his will.You can then assert to the probate judge that the corporation stock was your personal separate property and should be returned to you.You can see if probate was filed here in the county which he deceased otherwise you would happen to open probate to resolve this matter.

You might consider negotiating with the widow for a lesser figure knowing the process here and that you are looking at some serious legal fees to take this to probate and have it awarded to you.

I wouldn't blink at paying the wife here $5-10k because I can see legal fees in this neighborhood and an uncertain outcome.

I wish I could tell you otherwise.But this is going to be complicated no doubt and may be contested by the heirs along the way drawing this out for several years.

Your first step is to see if a will was filed for probate.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Here is list of clerks.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Related Estate Law Questions