How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Lykken, Esq Your Own Question
Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 103
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Michael Lykken, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away in the Philippines last year. My

Customer Question

My father passed away in the Philippines last year. My father's sister arranged for his funeral service to be done in the Philippines and for him to be buried there. I flew out there to attend my father's funeral and I was in No rush to go back to the US. I was having a hard time with accepting the loss of my dad.. It was the first time to experience losing a parent. With that being said, How do I obtain my father's Last Will testament? I was never contacted by an attorney for documents regarding my inheritance. Who in the family has the right to have access to his bank accounts, 401k, pension, social security, etc?
And who has the right to collect social security money from a deceased family member?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would like to help you, but please understand that I can only provide general legal advice in this forum. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, can you tell me where your father lived? Did he live in the Phillipines? If so, he may have had an attorney there prepare any will for him. If he had a California attorney, then you need to figure out who that was and what ask the attorney what the status is of any will or trust administration. The executor of a will or trustee of a trust would be in control, however you would have a right to an accounting of the estate and a copy of any estate planning documents prepared for your father. Regarding social security, you can call your local security office to report your father's passing. I really can't tell you about the survivor's benefit. If he was receiving benefits and your mother is not a beneficiary or predeceased your father, you may qualify for you father's benefits. Thank you, ***** ***** let me now if you need more information

Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I hope you found my service helpful. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Otherwise, I only receive credit for helping you if you rate my service. I would therefore appreciate if you would do so. Thank you!