How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My x husband, abandone myself & family. he walked away from

Customer Question

My x husband, abandone myself & family. he walked away from all financial responsibilities.. I have made all pymnts, repairs, maintained, mortgage, taxes, insurance. I could never get to sign a quit claim deed. He had an o.f.p. on him, and was in and out of jail. 10 yrs. later he is taking me to court for half..$$$$$ . He has had do with Any of it since 2006. what are My legal rights??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an attorney, who says he should get half.. why?? the actual house was built buy his company..but, had major structural problems. If I had not tended to these problems, it would not be liveable. I also had to take out loan re finance) in My name only.. bank was ready to foreclose. He did not pay child support for years. court forced him to, 5 yrs. later. very little..$$$$. I have kept that housr, in good standing. He has done nothing with it, or for it..for 10 yrs!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is taking..Me to court over this. And now, I forced to get a lawyer. fees..etc.. how, does the law protect, My assetts & My Investments. from a dead beat X.??
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Minnesota is a "no-fault" divorce state, which means if you or your spouse believe that your marriage is irretrievably broken (meaning, so badly damaged that it can’t be saved), and the judge agrees, then the court will issue a divorce order. There’s no need to get into why the marriage failed, or who was at fault. This unfortunately does not help you much as it would in a fault based divorce state.

Many individuals mistakenly believe that they’ve abandoned their equity in the family home by moving out. While the court may award the family home to the spouse living in it at the time the divorce is heard, the spouse that moved out will typically be awarded other property or a cash settlement equal to his or her equity in the home. The bot***** *****ne here is that you don’t give up your equity in the marital home by moving out. Unfortunately, if you do not get a legal separation or file for divorce, all community property or property gained during the marriage is an asset that is to be divided. The court can take into account circumstances and abandonment would be one of those circumstances, and decide to give you a higher percentage than your husband but this is not guaranteed.

There is a common misconception that title always controls distribution of property. In reality, courts commonly disregard title when determining whether property is “marital” or “non-marital.”

Any asset acquired by either spouse during the marriage (except through gift or inheritance) is considered “marital” property and is subject to division by the court. The fact that title is in the name of only one spouse can be inconsequential.

“Non-marital” property includes any property acquired by one spouse before marriage or via traceable, premarital or non-marital funds, inheritance, or gift. Unfortunately like I said previously, the courts only look at marital and nonmarital property and will divide it based on that. Unfortunately, I know this is not the outcome you expected or wanted but I am here to give you correct information as incorrect information will not help you. I understand your frustration and see how this might seem like an unfair outcome.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?