Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I have a will that was given to me by my x husban to keep in

Customer Question
case something happens to him...
I have a will that was given to me by my x husban to keep in case something happens to him. He died over a year ago from cancer, he also Lived with a woman and did not marry her until he was told there was no hope. He had a minister come to the hospital to Mary them. The now wife has not contacted anyone regarding the will. My children who now are adults, were named in the origional will. The wife called my son and told him that it was suggested by the deceased that the two Grandchildren get $500, but she needs to hear from them what they are going to do with the money and they don't waist it. My grandson wrote up a letter saying what he was going to do with the money, then went there explained to her so he got the money. My granddaughter called her and she said to talk to her dad. So my question is how do they know if they were named in the will, if my two son's are in the will, which is in the will he gave me. I know you can't ask for a copy of the will if you are not named in it, but what can the grandchildren do to see if they are indeed named in the will or if the will I have has not been changed?
Thank You
Shirley
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
3/10/2016
Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 1 year ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Basically there's no "right" to see a will. Rather, what happens is that someone who might have an interest in the will or disposition of the property files probate (if the individual who possesses the will has not). As part of the probate process, notices are sent out and anyone with possession of the will needs to produce the will to the probate court. At that point, it could be determined if the will was still in effect at the time of death, or if it was superseded by a new will or some testamentary document that revoked all wills. But until that point, they can't "compel" you to show them that will.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney