How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be inheriting some money from my Mother's estate and

Customer Question

I will be inheriting some money from my Mother's estate and would like to know if my husband is entitled to half. We live in Louisiana and I don't know how the law works. My husband is on Medicade and I need to know how this would affect his eligibility.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

No, even in community property states, such as Louisiana, inherited property is not community, it is separate property. Just make sure you do not commingle it with joint or community funds or assets. Keep it separate and in your name only.