How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother and I own property together. It is a land lease.

Customer Question

My brother and I own property together. It is a land lease. We inherited from our Mother. My brother has died without a will. Since the property is listed in both our names how do I get it transferred to my name only?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please clarify what you mean by "a land lease".

Usually when a person owns land they have their name as the grantee on a deed. Is there a deed naming you and your late brother as grantees?

Did you brother leave a spouse or any descendants?

If you inherited this was it under a Will?