Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Do I have to pay an new jersey state estate tax. My father…

Customer Question
Do I have to pay...
Do I have to pay an new jersey state estate tax. My father passed away and his lawyer wants my ss#.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/7/2016
Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Depends...what is your share of the estate worth (ballpark)?

One fifth on a million

Thanks

NJ does impose an "inheritance tax" to residents who inherit money from an estate

HOWEVER, if you are the child of the deceased? You are exempt under the law (assuming your father passed after 1988).

So there is a tax to beneficiaries...and I can understand why the lawyer is asking for the SSN...but under the law you will not have to declare this gift, since it was your father who left the gift

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Part of my father's estate is in penna.
Is there a state income estate tax there?

Thank you. Pennsylvania law provides the 4.5% inheritance tax to an adult child.

I do not understand the answer. Does that mean I do not have to pay any inheritance tax in philly.

The rate in PA is 4.5% for an adult child. So you will that amour (4.5% of the portion of the estate from PA)

My father owned a restaurant in pa. My brother bought it from my father. He owes the estate 250000. HE IS CONTESTING THE WILL. WE DID NOT recieve anything. So, do we have to pay tax on something we may not recieve? I do not want to give my ss to my father's lawyer until he proves why I should

You only pay a tax on a gift you received. If you do not receive any gift from Pennsylvania property? You owe no tax.