socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I managed to prepare the grant deed on my own through the

Customer Question

Hello again. I managed to prepare the grant deed on my own through the online law library in Sacramento. I also discovered I needed to prepare to PCOR to record prior to the grant deed. Before I go record this document, I just want to be sure there isn't something else I need to do first such as record a Change in Ownership Statement - Death of Real Property Owner due to the passing of my Mother's husband in August 2015, or some kind of affidavit. I read there is an ugly tax consequence imposed by the county assessor for not filing this document within their time frame. I don't think we need this because the property is passing through the trust with Mom as trustee on both ends. Trust number one says something to the effect that either trustee can act as sole trustee when the other is unable.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Unlike the previous contributor with whom you corresponded, I am a member of the State Bar of California, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, and the California and National Associations of Realtors. Please permit me to assist.

If the property is located in Sacramento County, then the following checklist provides the necessary filings where a real property owner has died.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted an answer from a specific person and thought I had requested such. I already knew about the document list you provided before I submitted this question when I searched forms index on the San Mateo county assessors website, so you answer doesn't help me.

Hello again,

If you would be so kind as to tell me precisely what you're seeking to verify that is not provided for in the list, I will be happy to try to clarify any issue for you.

If you would prefer to discuss California law with the contributor licensed in Kentucky, rather than myself, please let me know, and I will be happy to reopen the question and direct the question to that person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I proceed, I probably need to review how this just answers system works. I assumed when I disclose my state with a legal question, just answers will match me with someone qualified to answer the question with knowledge of my state and its laws. Yikes!!!

I'm not trying to disparage the other contributor. The Justanswer forum is intended to answer questions about the law, which are generally applicable to all U.S. jurisdictions. Consequently, there is no requirement for Justanswer to match you with someone who is licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. See Justanswer, Terms of Service Section 7.

However, you asked a pretty specific question about California law. The question was not directed to a specific contributor, at least not based upon any information provided by the system to me. Thus, any contributor could answer. I just happened to be online, the question was available, so I answered.

I try to find questions related to California, because I believe that my answers are superior to those of contributors who are not licensed in the jurisdiction. But, as the old saying goes, "the customer is always right." So, if you want someone else to assist you with your questions re California law, please let me know, and I will "ride off into the sunset."

Thanks for your understanding, and for using Justanswer!

Good morning.

I wonder if this may be of some assistance to you:

Cal. Probate Code Section 15620. "Unless otherwise provided in the trust instrument, a power vested in two or more trustees may only be exercised by their unanimous action. [italics added]"

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best wishes.