Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother.

Customer Question
She, my mother, left my...
My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother. She, my mother, left my sister as executor. Things are transferred and my sister's name is ***** ***** documents (house owner, taxes) and she is giving the bills to us.
I've asked for a copy of the will and probate number, she refuses.
Is this legal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/4/2016
Estate Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If your mom's estate has been opened for probate, then you should be able to get a copy of the will from the probate court clerk as the will would have to be filed in order to open the case.

If that has not occurred, then you would be entitled to a copy of the will as an immediate relative and beneficiary......if your sister will not give a copy to you, then you could file a petition in court and ask the judge to compel her to produce a copy of the will to you and/or the original for inspection. Once the court orders her to produce the will, she won't have a choice.