Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Can an assisted living facility force a resident to leave

Customer Question

Can an assisted living facility force a resident to leave when his or her savings has run out, but, they have retirement and social security each month?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. This is a landlord / tenant relationship and if the resident is not able to pay the monthly rental costs, then the facility as the landlord has the right to terminate the contract and evict.

.

But typically in situations like this, the person can apply for Medicaid to pay any deficiency that their other resources won't cover.

.

.

thanks