Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

When we owned a business 23yrs. ago we signed a mortgage…

Customer Question
When we owned a business...
When we owned a business 23yrs. ago we signed a mortgage lien? On our home for $18,000. We believe we paid most of it to our partner, however since it has been so long, everything has been tossed. What we need to know is the statue of limitations in Maryland & since we have NO paperwork to prove we paid him anything can he come after us. We do have the paperwork for the original mortgage signed by us. Found out he lives in NV.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/3/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

When was the mortgage supposed to be paid off? (i.e. 5 years, 10...20)

.

When do you estimate the last time you made a payment to him?

.

.

thanks

Barrister, would much rather talk. Can you call me? (###) ###-####

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

.

thanks

Ok, well, I have no idea how long we had to pay him back. On our copy of the mortgage papers ( which are very blurry) it looks like the date is October. Of 1993. Since it has been so long ago, we just cannot remember why the mortgage was even made.
Long story short. Several years ago we took out a home equity loan for $125,000. Just this year the bank noticed the lein and wants it settled.

Ok, a mortgage has a due date on it normally. So if it was taken out in 1993, then it would have a due date... maybe 10 years out, maybe 20...maybe 5. So that is going to be critical here as to when the repayment was due.

.

So I need to know how long the mortgage was supposed to last as this is the key to everything?

.

.

thanks

Will have to go back to courthouse & try to get more info. When I find ( hopefully) more info. How do I get back to you?

Ok, no worries. But the mortgage itself should state when it comes due and how long it is for....

.

If you don't have it handy, you can just reply when you get that info. The question will remain open as long as you need it to so take your time..

.

Just reply back when you can.

.

.

thanks

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney