Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Is it illegal in California to date a married woman? We have

Customer Question

Is it illegal in California to date a married woman? We have never been out yet but planning to.
when we first talked she told me that she is separated but after talking for a couple of months, she told me that they are back together but she is not happy with him because he is cheating on her. She said that she agreed to go out on a date with me because she felt a "connection". She doesn't know what she wants with our relationship but she doesn't want to give it up, which i am fine with. If i had known she was married in the first place, i never would have asked her out. so my question is "Am i getting involved in something that I should stay clear of(from a legal standpoint, not a moral one)"? What are the chances of being sued?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is it illegal in California to date a married woman?

.

No, there is no state law that would make this illegal. In fact, adultery (i.e. having sex with someone other than your spouse while married) is not illegal in CA.

.

As for being sued, CA has no "alienation of affection" laws as they have been abolished. So you can't be sued either.

.

.

thanks