Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister. Is. executor ofmy dads estate.it will go to me…

Customer Question
My sister. Is . executor...
My sister. Is . executor ofmy dads estate.it will go to me and my sister 50 50! It is a building we lease out. Does she have to tell me everything like is there money in the bank? How do i know shes not spending that money?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/3/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does she have to tell me everything like is there money in the bank? How do i know shes not spending that money?

.

Yes, As part of sister's legal duties as executor, she has to file an "inventory" with the probate court stating what assets are in the estate. Since that is a public document, you can send her a written request certified mail for her to send you a copy of it as soon as it is filed with the court.

.

She also has to file a formal "accounting" with the court detailing what money comes into and goes out of the estate. You can do the same thing in requesting a copy as soon as it is filed with the court..

.

So everything has to be filed with the court and you can get a copy of the file any time that you would like from the probate court clerk if sister is not communicating with you well.

.

.

thanks