Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

You just got done answering a question regarding my dad and…

Customer Question
You just got done answering...
You just got done answering a question for me regarding my dad and his dead wife esther. I wasn't able to find any unclaimed property from those links that you provided, we are still clueless as to why the ex husbands wife wants my dads wifes death certificate. Would community property accrued between Dan and Esther be listed in unclaimed property? Maybe it's life insurance maybe. Dan is Esthers ex wife. Esther is my dads wife. Linda is Dans new wife. Linda is asking for Esthers death certificate but won't clarify as to why. Esthers kids have told my dad to not give it to Linda but won't say anything beyond that. It's a real mystery. Is there anything you can think of as to why? ***** ***** owned Folsum Rodeo in the Sacramento CA area, and western rodeo too i believe. He made alot of money, not sure how much he and Esther made while they were married. I'm guessing this falls under that Community property thing out in California, however this is only guessing on my part. We are trying to figure out if my dad ***** *****sen has any rights to his dead wife Esther Hansen, formally Esther Russells property in california, assuming there is any. Only thing we can think of as to why they are asking for a death certificate. Thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/2/2016
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

It could be life insurance or bank account.They may be trying to falsify a small estate affidavit but need the death certificate.You certainly can write this person and ask for an honest explanation of why they need it indicating you aren't going to provide it unless they are more forthcoming here.Try fishing here with this person.You could check his employer to see if there was life insurance and Esther , now the estate was beneficiary.There is definitely an asset here, you just keep hunting for it here.Harold here would likely be their heir if they were married when she deceased.

Did Harold file for death benefits here from social security, there is a small one time payment and he might be able to claim spousal benefits if he needs them as well.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html

Check here with Superior Court in Sacramento to see if ***** ***** had probate opened, and whether she was an heir here.

Sacramento County Probate Court

1.912 Google reviews

Courthouse

Address: 3341 Power Inn Rd, Sacramento, CA 95826

Phone(###) ###-####/p>

Hours:

Open today · 8:30AM–4PM

I wish you the best here, keep looking here bound to be something.

California laws of intestacy( means no will)

If you die with:here’s what happens:

• children but no spouse, parents, or siblings
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no children, parents, or siblings
  • spouse inherits everything
  • parents but no children, spouse, or siblings
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no children, spouse, or parents
  • siblings inherit everything
  • a spouse and children
  • spouse inherits all of your community property and 1/2 or 1/3 of your separate property
  • children inherit 1/2 or 2/3 of your separate property
  • a spouse and parents
  • spouse inherits all of your community property and 1/2 of your separate property
  • parents inherit 1/2 of your separate proper