How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37008
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unbeknown to me, my wife had named a niece and a nephew of

Customer Question

Unbeknown to me, my wife had named a niece and a nephew of hers as beneficiaries on her 2 university retirement plans that she joined in 1991 at a Michigan University. She passed away last month and I just found out that I was not the named beneficiary? What can I do now to challenge her beneficiary designations? Her nephew is mentally challenged and lives in a state AFC home and is not able to take care of any financial issues whatsoever. Also, I truly need these funds to survive myself as I am 69 and have no pension.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”), a surviving spouse is automatically the beneficiary of any employer sponsored retirement plan unless they sign a written waiver allowing the plan owner to name someone else as the beneficiary.


So your recourse here would be to contact the plan administrator with the university and file a formal objection to any funds being disbursed as being in violation of ERISA because you never signed a waiver of your rights as primary beneficiary.


If they have disbursed funds already, then you will have to hire an employment law attorney to assist with filing suit against the university for violating ERISA if they are unable to retrieve the funds.





Related Estate Law Questions