Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister, brother and I equally own a house that our

Customer Question
parents left us. We would...
My sister, brother and I equally own a house that our parents left us. We would like to sell it to our sister. Can you tell me how to best do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/26/2016
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you haven't already done so, the first step may be to get the house appraised so you can agree on a fair price. You and your brother may want your lawyer to draft the contract, but any agreement that you all write down and sign will be effective. To transfer title, all three of you will sign a deed transferring ownership from all three of you to only your sister. With parties who know each other, this is usually done via a quitclaim deed - which means that you're not making any promises except to transfer your share. You're not guaranteeing the title or anything (since you inherited the house from your parents, you shouldn't have to guarantee the title). The deed is signed when the money is handed to you, and then your sister will record the deed with the county so they know she is the sole owner.

This site has forms you can use to create your deed.

http://www.tidyforms.com/quitclaim-deed-form/georgia.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.