Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Is it legal to open or rather change bank accts to prevent…

Customer Question
is it legal to open...
is it legal to open or rather change bank accts to prevent step son from freezing our accts when his dad passes and I won't be able to pay bills, the will states he gets nothing and he has no interest in his dad only his asset
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/25/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

is it legal to open or rather change bank accts to prevent step son from freezing our accts when his dad passes and I won't be able to pay bills,

.

Sure, as long as all the owners on the account agree to close down the account and move it to a new bank, then they can do whatever they want with their money.

.

thanks

thank you so much, I just don't want to do anything that is wrong. thank you I appreciate your time.

You are very welcome. And no worries, you are not doing anything improper or illegal by changing banks. Step Son has no legal right to information about your banking relationships unless you choose to share that with him.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have beenanswered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I haveprovided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a newquestion the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, butyou can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and theywill get it to me.

.

.

thanks