Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How do IFind out about trust funds and insurance benefits…

Customer Question
How do IFind out about...
How do IFind out about trust funds and insurance benefits that are not in the estate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/22/2016
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello. There are two possibilities. One is that you are named as a beneficiary of the trust or insurance. For the insurance company, you would call, and if you are the named beneficiary, they will tell you. If you are not the named beneficiary, then they will only give the information to the Executor or Administrator of the Estate. For the trust, if you are not a named beneficiary or do not know whether or not you are, you could still request information as an Heir or Executor or Estate Administrator if the Trustee is not telling you. The trustee of the trust is required to send a notice to all beneficiaries of the trust and all of the heirs of the deceased settlor of the trust. If the trust gives you any rights to stay on the property, you'd be a beneficiary and entitled to a copy of the trust and should receive or received a copy of the notice with your rights.

Do you need further assistance?