Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband has passed away. We were married only one year…

Customer Question
My husband has passed away...
My husband has passed away. We were married only one year and one month. We had never put my name or his name on each other's accounts or house. I own my house outright and it is in my name. He owns some credit card debt and a small amount in a checking account ($1600). What do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/20/2016
Estate Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq

Did he have a will? Are there any children?

No he did not have a will. We have no children in common. He has three sons
they are all adults

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Without a will, the property will pass according to intestate succession (Arizona law). It does not matter if the children are grown or adults. You as the spouse inherits 1/2 of his separate property but no interest in the 1/2 of the community property that belonged to your spouse. His children inherit 1/2 of his separate property and the 1/2 of the community property that belonged to your spouse. Understand that any property owned jointly (it sounded like there was none such as a bank account in both of your names would pass outside of probate and not subject to this computation). So basically anything that was earned during marriage that was his half, goes to his kids (you of course keep your own community property 50%). His separate property is split 50% to you and 50% to his kids.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?