Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom died and only put my sister's name pn her pension.

Customer Question
She then did a will...
My mom died and only put my sister's name pn her pension. She then did a will about how the pension should be divided, but mu sister has kept 50% of the money for herself, in violation of the Will. Can she do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/19/2016
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am sorry to say that yes, she can do this.

This is because money from a pension plan (401k, IRA, etc) is outside of probate and is not subject to probate. The designated beneficiary of the pension CONTROLS and if the Will is different, then the Will is overridden when it comes to the pension.

In other word, whatever was written in the Will does not matter when it comes to the pension - the proper beneficiary is that which is listed in the pension plan record, only.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!