Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Who is the benafisery of my daughter she was married but…

Customer Question
Who is the benafisery of...
Who is the benafisery of my daughter she was married but separated from her husband for 4 years so would her mother be Washington state
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/18/2016
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you mean beneficiary in a probate action, then assuming she did not have a will, it would depend on what family she left:

• parents but no children, spouse, or siblings - parents inherit everything
  • a spouse and parents - spouse inherits all of her community property and 3/4 of her separate property, parents inherit 1/4 of her separate property.

A surviving spouse is not eligible for the above and parents would then inherit all if the couple has executed a formal separation agreement dividing all their property and waiving all claims to the other's property. Estate of Lindsay, 91 Wn. App. 944 (1998). However if the separation was informal, then it did not count.

However, note that life insurance, IRAs, and 401k are outside probate and go to the beneficiary designated by the plan.

If this is not what you had wished to hear, I am sorry. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!