Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My daughter recently passed away and the house is in my name…

Customer Question
My daughter recently passed away...
My daughter recently passed away and the house is in my name and hers equally, I am her mother. We bought the house in 2005 before she was married. since 2011 she got married and nothing is in his name... not the mortgage or the deed. I am on both. what rights does he have to the house?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2016
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Was the property owned in joint tenancy with right of survivorship?

not sure where do I find that out ?

It would state joint tenancy on the deed after both your names.

on deed it just says single woman JoAnn Downey and single woman Justine Arteaga we live in florida
can you explain the difference to me ?

Then you are tenants in common. Her surviving spouse is entitled to inherit her half interest.

I don't have the deed in front of me

Then how did you know what it said?

I have it at home I am at work

You are tenants in common if it does not specify otherwise and her interest goes to the surviving spouse.

can i talk to you at 3;30

Sure

Or better can I call you tomorrow when I have paper work in front of me. what number can I call you at ?

Let me know when you wish to continue and I will make another additional services offer.

I need your number... how can

When you accept the additional service request you will provide your number. I do not give out my number.