Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My daughter recently passed away and the house is in my name

Customer Question
and hers equally, I am...
My daughter recently passed away and the house is in my name and hers equally, I am her mother. We bought the house in 2005 before she was married. since 2011 she got married and nothing is in his name... not the mortgage or the deed. I am on both. what rights does he have to the house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2016
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Was the property owned in joint tenancy with right of survivorship?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure where do I find that out ?

It would state joint tenancy on the deed after both your names.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on deed it just says single woman JoAnn Downey and single woman Justine Arteaga we live in florida
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you explain the difference to me ?

Then you are tenants in common. Her surviving spouse is entitled to inherit her half interest.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have the deed in front of me

Then how did you know what it said?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it at home I am at work

You are tenants in common if it does not specify otherwise and her interest goes to the surviving spouse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i talk to you at 3;30

Sure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or better can I call you tomorrow when I have paper work in front of me. what number can I call you at ?

Let me know when you wish to continue and I will make another additional services offer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need your number... how can

When you accept the additional service request you will provide your number. I do not give out my number.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney