Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My son, age 34, passed away 2 weeks ago. He left no will. We…

Customer Question
My son, age 34, passed...
My son, age 34, passed away 2 weeks ago. He left no will. We know that he has credit card debts, as well as a new car note. That note is approximately 1 year old with 4 years to go. He did not opt for the life insurance that was offered. I need to know how to become appointed as administrator of his estate, and who and in what order I will need to pay to clear his debts. His estate and savings are minimal.
Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/16/2016
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon Bob. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

First, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your son. I have three children of my own and can only imagine what a difficult time this must be for you. I will certainly keep you in my prayers!

With regard to your specific question, you can avoid probate through the use of a Small Estate Affidavit if your son's estate is valued under $20,000. If you call the court clerk, the clerk can provide you the form for the Affidavit.

With regard to the payment of your son's debts: i) the car debt is a secured debt, so you can simply call the lender and let them know your son has died and they can take the car back pursuant to their lien; and ii) with regard to the other debts (including any deficiency between the amount owed on the car and the value), if there is no remaining money after paying the expenses of the estate, including all funeral costs, you can simply send them a letter letting them know of the death of your son (include a copy of the death certificate) and that the estate had no funds available after paying the estate administration expenses to pay the debt. That will be the end of this for as the creditors will simply have to write off the debt. You have no personal liability for these debts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!