Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My significant other and I have been living together 18

Customer Question
My significant other and I...
My significant other and I have been living together for over 18 years in Michigan, built 2 homes together and shared everything together. Since there is no "common law" recognition in State of Michigan and we may be splitting up how would the courts recognize the division of our assets.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/16/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This would be looked at in the same way that a business partnership would be looked at. If you have both contributed towards purchasing assets, then you would both receive any contributions back from the assets and then if they are sold you would split the profits from them equally unless there is some other agreement in writing.

.

If you can't come up with who put in what for what, then the general rule is that everything would just be equally divided to end the partnership.

.

.

thanks