Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What happens to my SSI disability benefits and medicaid if I…

Customer Question
what happens to my SSI...
what happens to my SSI disability benefits and medicaid if I receive an inheritance? I am 63 yrs old, and shy of 40 quarter SS benefits
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/15/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

SSDI is based on a person's disability, not on their resources. So if the recipient comes into an inheritance, it won't affect their benefits. SS is not affected by resources either.

.

However, Medicaid is resource based, so it could reduce or terminate any Medicaid benefits until the money was spent down. Medicaid also has a rule that a recipient has to report any changes in their resources within 10 days following the end of the month that someone receives benefits.

.

.

thanks

since I am 63 am I qualified for Medicare

According to Medicare,

Under 65 - Generally speaking, if you are under age 65, you will qualify for Medicare if:

1. You have End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), or
  2. You have received Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) payments for 24 months (or in the first month of disability for ALS ("Lou Gehrig's Disease"))

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney