Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My mom died in a cab was transported to hospital. When

Customer Question

My mom died in a cab was transported to hospital. When looking for her called hospital was told she was not there when she was but died.i Did missing report do hospital contact authorities when no next of kin. Transported to funeral home. What procedures are used for a uncoincios patient next of kin be notified. Did not get all her property
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are actually no NV laws about this, it is simply a process decided on by each hospital. If a patient comes in and dies, the hospital social workers are supposed to try to find and identify next of kin to contact them. It could have indeed been that at the time she came in they did not know her information when you called. When hospitals cannot find next of kin they hold the body for 3 days and they are supposed to notify the police, but again there is no law on this so they are not mandated to do so. You need to contact the hospital as all of her property should still be there if it was not transported to the funeral home with her as it should have been.