Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother died in NYS and left money to be divided among 4…

Customer Question
my mother died in NYS...
my mother died in NYS and left money to be divided among 4 children. My brother, the executor sent me a copy of the will and a paper asking if I contested it. I returned the paper notarized and heard nothing more. about 3 months after that I emailed the lawyer asking if there was anything else I needed to do. Shortly after that I received a letter that was full of foul language stated I was a bitch, low intelligence, etc. There was a check attached to this letter and a paper that said I declined the monies from the will. My brother in addition "demanded" that I sign this letter as he and my other two brothers had supported Mom for the last 20 years. We had not been in contact because of family issues,, I had no way of knowing that they were supporting her, I also was unaware that she was ill and my brother had assumed care of her. I put the money in a separate account to await any action. Can they reclaim that monies or may I donate to wounded warriors as was my intent
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/12/2016
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You need not worry about them having any right to get the money back. The money is yours; they have no legal right to require you to sign anything in order to receive the money that is rightfully yours. So, whether or not you sign this document, you can keep the money. Whether or not you want to pursue your brother as executor is up to you. I will tell you that he has acted unethically and breached his fiduciary duty to you as a beneficiary. The estate and its assets are not his personal piggy bank simply because he's the executor. The executor has a fiduciary duty to each beneficiary. Each beneficiary is entitled to have the executor timely file the will for probate...usually within 30 days of death..., to timely administer the estate specifically pursuant to the terms of the will, to have the executor provide a copy of the full inventory of assets and periodic accounting of every dime in and out of the estate. If the executor fails to produce the inventory, periodic accounting, or fails to timely administer the estate specifically in accordance to the will, you can file a petition with the probate court to have him removed as the executor for breach of fiduciary duty. And, if an accounting, which the court will order if the executor has not provided one, shows there to be any misappropriation of estate assets or funds, you can also ask the court to award actual and punitive damages against the executor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!