Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband and I of 13 yrs relocated to s faimilys home to…

Customer Question
my husband and I...
my husband and I of 13 yrs relocated to his faimilys home to care for them during there last years before passing. After their death my husband inherited the family home. Now my husband has been having an affair with his secretary and has forced me to leave with no where to go. Because of the law im told I have no right to anything. That its all inherited. We sold our home to live with them. Is there anything I can do ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/11/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am very sorry that you are going through this as it is a pretty lousy thing for him to do to you...

.

As for anything that he inherited, unfortunately you are correct that it is considered his separate property and wouldn't be divisible during a divorce. However, anything that you acquired during the marriage that wasn't a gift or inheritance would be divisible in a divorce.

.

So anything like retirement plans, bank accounts, personal property, vehicles, or proceeds from the sale of the other house would be divided in any divorce.

.

But as for leaving, he can't force you to leave the home where you were living as a married couple unless he filed for divorce and was granted exclusive use and possession of the property. If he hasn't done that, then there is nothing to prevent you from returning to the home.

.

.

thanks