Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Teacher's Retirement System sent my wife and I a letter

Customer Question
stating: we were the beneficiaries...
Teacher's Retirement System sent my wife and I a letter stating: we were the beneficiaries of, myself, 1,647.00 and my wife, 15,000.00. The letter stated we owed them 2,135.00 for payouts after the death of our friend. The letter stated they would take legal action if we did not pay the amount. We paid the amount, we filled out and notarized all paperwork, and sent everything in on Sept. 29th 2015, by certified letter. Since then, they have demanded an original French certificate of Death, her next of kin has kindly supplied that for us. Since then, I have called on several occasions and receive false and misleading information. ie: "Don't pay any attention to our letters", A check will be cut on Nov. 30, 2015", and "Forget the French Death Certificate, we need "A consular report on the death of an American citizen". Currently, her next of kin is graciously trying to comply with the latest demand as we speak. I have sent a letter of complaint to the head of the retirement service department, and I am currently seeking an attorney to help us show cause for non-payment.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/2/2016
Estate Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information, however, I am unclear about some of the facts here. If you provide those additional facts I may be able to help you evaluate the legitimacy of this situation. However, I have to underscore w hat the Site says in several places, we cannot represent the customers of this Site. This is only an information Site. We cannot form an attorney-client relationship with our customers nor represent them. So, if that is what you need, you will need to seek a face to face local counsel. That said, something sounds a little fishy in this scenario and I may be able to clarify what is going on.

Can you tell me did your wife know this "friend' who died and left her money? Is this "Teacher's Retirement System" in the U.S. or France? If U.S., what does France have to do with the situation? What are they telling you that you are paying in advance for and how do they want their money paid to them and where?