How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Attorney Barrister, I connected with you 12 days ago, "my

Customer Question

Hi Attorney Barrister,
I connected with you 12 days ago, "my significant other passed away". I Never got an answer....
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am an attorney licensed in MA, although I cannot represent you, and I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
MA law does not recognize oral promises of post death bequests I am afraid. The significant other could have been in Foxboro Stadium during the Patriot's game on the video screen and made the promise to give you something after his death and it would not legally be enforceable in a MA court I am sorry to say. Any bequest after death has to be in a written testamentary document signed by the grantor and notarized. If he did not leave a will or trust naming you, I am afraid that his children (if any) or grandchildren would be the ones to inherit anything. If he has no children or grandchildren, then his parents and if no parents, then his siblings. That is the order of succession in MA without a will.