Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father passed away a couple of years ago. s living trust…

Customer Question
My father passed away a...
My father passed away a couple of years ago. His living trust left all assets to be equally divided amongst his four children, except that we were given discretion to put my alcoholic brother's share into a trust that provided housing and a regular monthly income but with the balance not under his control. We set this up with the same attorney my father had used. He seemed extremely nice in the beginning but by the time we had closed out my father's estate, we were very unhappy with this attorney. He is not good at communication, he seems to over-charge, and he lashes out quite angrily when questioned. Now my brother passed away on Jan 13th with no spouse, no children, and no will. His trust states that the remainder of his funds plus the home he inherited should all be divided equally amongst the three remaining siblings. The attorney who is trustee has been very unresponsive and we are afraid to even question him now after the way he responded when we questioned him the last time. Is it possible at this stage to transfer the entire thing to either ourselves or another attorney?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
1/30/2016
Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I understand...the attorney in question (the one who is not cooperating), are they named in the trust as trustee?

Is there an alternate trustee named?