Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in California. My father has a trust which divides…

Customer Question
I live in California. My...
I live in California. My father has a trust which divides the assets of the trust 50/50 between my sister and me. My question is, if my sister buys his classic car from him before his death and the money from the sale is put into one of the bank accounts which will later be divided 50/50 between us, is she then entitled to half of the price she paid him for the car for? It seems like she's getting an valuable asset, for which she will only really be paying half the agreed upon purchase price upon inheriting. (As an aside, she has also received free of charge monies that were to be a "loan" to bail out her home but were never paid back to the estate, and a Jaguar free of charge.)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
1/29/2016
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

A few minutes please as I look into this.

Does the trust discuss repament for the 'loan" as most trusts will address money that was loaned and not paid back?