Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If you are to receive an inheritance of money can you

Customer Question
forfeit the inheritance and name...
If you are to receive an inheritance of money can you forfeit the inheritance and name someone else to receive it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2016
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

No, you can not disclaim an inheritance and name a successor. If a person disclaims an inheritance it will go to the next person in line under the intestate distribution statute.

If it was a bequest under a will then it will go to any other alternate beneficiary named in the will or, in the alternative, to the residuary of the estate.

The beneficiary can refrain from disclaiming their inheritance and gift it however they like.

Are you online with me?