Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Does the life insurance of the deceased goes into s trust or

Customer Question
does the life insurance of...
does the life insurance of the deceased goes into his trust or the named beneficiary?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
1/22/2016
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Life insurance proceeds payable to a named beneficiary go directly to the named beneficiary and are not subject to any will or living trust agreement. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. The life insurance proceeds you reference fall within the foregoing.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney