Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If a decedent left two Wills, executed 1 month apart

Customer Question
If a decedent left two...
If a decedent left two Wills, executed 1 month apart (October and November 2013), naming the same heirs and months later (May 2014) executes a codicil stating they don't want the parties named in the first Will and specifically identifies only the first Will including the names of the witnesses (they witnessed only the first Will) does that codicil also apply to the second Will?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your questions.

Did not the second will contain language stating it revoked all prior wills?

No, it didn't. The first Will had come up"missing" and it states if the first Will wasn't found prior to her death the second Will would be effective. The first Will was not found prior to her death.

Thank you for the additional information.

The very act of executing the second will has the legal effect of revoking any prior wills. That would include any codicils executed as addenda to the first will. In other words, the codicil can not amend a revoked will.

Additionally, when a will is missing the presumption is that it was revoked.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney