How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116813
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am interested in a mutual distribution agreement. If one

Customer Question

Customer: I am interested in a mutual distribution agreement. If one enters into a mutual distribution agreement with others, under what circumstances would that agreement be terminated? If some of the parties sell property to other parties, does that make the MDA null and void? Does the MDA govern the distribution of the property after some of the parties sell their property?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we had a MDA between my mother, sister and myself. My mother had 50% of the house, my sister and I each 25% as tenants in common. My mother had the right to the life estate and the income from the property (2 rental apartments). Now my mother sold her share to my sister. My mother holds a mortgage from my sister. Their new agreement says my mother has the life estate, but it says nothing about who gets the income from the property. Am I still bound by the mutual distribution agreement?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another point I want to make. The MDA was between my mother, sister and myself as 3 tenants in common. The new distribution of the property is my sister and I as tenants in common. My mother has joint tenancy with my sister. My mother holds a mortgage for $100 K on the property from my sister. My mother has the life estate. It says nothing about who gets the income from the property. I would be seeking my portion of the rental income. Can I do this?
We are in Connecticut btw. It seems a bit complicated so I'm not sure what you can tell me.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that if there is an MDA by shares and one party sells their shares to another party, the MDA is still valid and the party who acquired those shares would also get the MDA shares as well. So your sister would get your mom's shares because she purchased those rights and that does not invalidate the MDA I am afraid. Your mother still gets her share, but by the sale her share goes to your sister.

Related Estate Law Questions