Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

To answer the last question that was asked of me; my Sister…

Customer Question
To answer the last question...
To answer the last question that was asked of me; my Sister had no will, and I (Steve Carse, her brother) have the power of attorney concerning our estate, which is a Living Trust of my Mothers'.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
1/21/2016
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.

You can try a small estate affidavit.You mail them the affidavit and the check and ask that it be reissued in your name if you are sole heir or names if there are more.This way you can then deposit the reissued check and avoid more costly probate.

Here is self help and affidavit to walk you through it.This is the cheapest way I would try this first.See if they will not just reissue the check.

http://saclaw.org/wp-content/uploads/sbs-affidavit-for-collection-of-personal-property.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always sincerely appreciated.