Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My name is ***** ***** redman
, my mother pasted away…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** redman

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My mother pasted away leaving my brother and my self her property

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
my mother past away last year leaving my brother and my self as heirs to her estate....... to complicate things my brother past away in 2009........ do I have to go to probate if their was a will
what is the statue of limitations on contesting a will
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2016
Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 2 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

In which State did your mother reside?

She left a Will, right?

Did your brother leave any descendants?

new York state
yes to the will
yes to 3 children

Sorry for the delay.

There is no time limit to probate a will in NY.

The will does have to be probated if the mother's estate was worth over $30,000.

You will be entitled to 1/2 the estate, and your brother's children will each take 1/6 of the estate under the NY anti-lapse statute, see

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2006/estates-powers-trusts/ept03-3.3_3-3.3.html

The time to contest a will does not start to run until the will s filed for probate.

Please let me know if I have not answered your questions prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.