Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Of my 90 year old grandmother, and we have a joint checking

Customer Question

Customer: I am POA of my 90 year old grandmother, and we have a joint checking and savings account, but she has since gone from the hospital to the nursing facility where she was on medicare and now the facility says that I need to sign her up for medicade. My question is, can they take the money in the joint accounts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We live in Illinois
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is this a checking account that you both contribute to equally and withdraw from for your own purposes? Or is it really her money, and you're on it so that you can pay bills, etc...?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?