How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After a 10 yr. Battle with My stepmother over my father's

Customer Question

After a long 10 yr. Battle with My stepmother over my father's estate (he died without a will ). She received a life estate in their house. She has not paid the taxes in three yrs. now. I do not want to lose the house to taxes. Please advise me on my options to resolve this and what type of attorney do I need.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Denise. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

A life estate owner has a legal obligation to pay the property taxes on the property. If she fails to to this, she has breached her duties and the life estate can be terminated. So, if she refuses to voluntarily give up her life estate to you by signing a quit claim deed terminating the life estate, then, you can file a suit to quiet title to ask the court to terminate the life estate and award you damages. If it comes to filing the suit, you will want to engage a commercial trial lawyer.

Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the Texas state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, this iis not a complicated case so you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!