Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

Estate and Probate law. Real estate in Jamaica West Indies

Customer Question

Estate and Probate law for Jamaica. Real estate in Jamaica West Indies owned by a dual Citizen (Jamaica & USA..died INTESTATE). Can the USA Executors use their USA appointments to probate the Jamaican real estate or do the beneficiaries must appoint them in Jamaica?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry for your loss, first of all

This is a good question. US Letters of Testamentary/Administration are not recognized outside of US jurisdictions. As such, the Executor in USA does not have an automatic right to conduct business and wind down/distribute assets on the estate's behalf in Jamaica. Technically, the Executor would have to file for probate in Jamaica to get a Jamaican equivalent of the appointment of Executor.

This may be the same Executor as the USA of course, or the parties can try to argue for a different Executor (for some reason or another).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!