P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My wife died last October leaving a credit card balance of

Customer Question

My wife died last October leaving a credit card balance of $13,000. The credit card was in her name only. Am I responsible for paying off her debt? I live in South Carolina
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You are not responsible for paying her debts

That said, if she left any "estate", then you need to pay the debt before you take any money from her estate...since if you fail to do so, the creditor can sue you to recover that debt

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.