How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55278
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to add my name to my mothers house

Customer Question

i need to add my name to my mothers house
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

If your mom has no will, then the property would pass under the intestate succession laws of Indiana. Since this is a step father, he would get a 1/4 share and your mom's children would get the remaining 3/4 share. To avoid this, she can either do a will. Or, you can have her sign a deed adding you to the title as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. The deed would need to be witnessed and notarized and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. Then, upon your mother's death, title would vest automatically in you outside any will and outside of any intestate succession laws. If you need a form for the deed, let me know and I'll be happy to provide one for you!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Estate Law Questions